Wednesday, May 27, 2009

The 40 Year Old Jealous Guy

O. K. I admit it, I am jealous, yes jealous. The reason for my immature feelings right now is a simple one: reading blogs like Brooklyn Backstretch and The Bug Boys about the fantastic day had by all on Monday at Belmont. The weather was perfect, everybody was happy Grade I racing, the only thing that would have made it better would have been free beer. GOD, IF YOU WHERE THERE I HATE YOU RIGHT NOW! Thanks, I feel a little better.

I know a grown man should not be jealous but I really cant help it. I live in Metro Detroit (Stop laughing) and thoroughbred racing finally returned to the area after a ten year hiatus in 2008. Pinnacle Race Course opened in July of last year and had a fairly successful first season. Unfortunately due to the state of the economy in Michigan the state racing commissioner is purposing cutting racing dates by about 65% to 25 live race dates. Several groups have gotten involved and it looks like some of the dates will be restored. ( for more on this check out Michigan Bred Claimer , Joe does a great job and has tons of information).

The status of live racing in Detroit aside, the media coverage of any thoroughbred racing other than the Triple Crown races, is non existent. Even the Triple Crown races only receive limited coverage. Last years Breeders Cup races on Saturday were not shown on the local NBC affiliate.

Even though I may be jealous and hate other bloggers at times, please keep up the good work for those of us who don't have the opportunity to have such great days.


1 comment:

  1. I just came across this post. Thanks for the link. I made my first trip to Delaware Park yesterday. We should all be jealous of the people that get to frequent that track. It is a really nice facility with a beautiful paddock and some great racing.

    Alan H.
    thebugboys.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete