Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Del Mar Daze




Tomorrow is opening day at Del Mar. The legendary Bing Crosby opened the gates in 1937 and first class thoroughbreds have been pounding the dirt and turf since, minus the WWII years.


When I think of the quintessential race track setting I think of Del Mar. I have never been to the place but it is on the bucket list for sure. Just hearing the name makes me think of the early forties and the Hollywood Elite that graced the grounds. It was the place to be seen. It has lost some of it's star appeal in recent years, but I kind of like that fact. I don't want to see pics of Lindsey Lohan or Kim Kardashian at the place, seeing the celebs at the Derby with no clue as to what's happening is annoying enough. Don't know if anybody saw the "Real Housewives of Orange County" episode that was shot there....UUGH!


My only concern is the condition of the All-Weather track, it's has been an issue the last few years. I would really like to see California get away from the poly track mandate, I don't think it is proven to be that much safer, and some may say it is actually less safe than the traditional surface. Hopefully it won't be an issue and the meet is safe for jockeys and horses alike.

This is my first time putting some effort into handicapping a So. Cal. track, usually the races are run to late for me to follow but with online wagering it's possible now, how great is this Internet thing! We'll see how it goes and hopefully make a little money while we are at it.


Del Mar is in the spotlight all by itself for about a week until the Spa gets going, what a great time of year to be a fan of this game.



















































No comments:

Post a Comment