Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Pinnacle Pride

Took a little trip down to Pinnacle Race Course this past weekend on Friday July 3rd. I have been an outspoken poster on some blogs about the inferior quality of the facility and the horses at the track. The facility is basically a pole barn with a bar, a few betting windows and some bathrooms. I do have to give the pavilion a pat on the back for the individual televisions in the simulcast area and the numerous t.v.s in general. There are no seats, the temporary ones removed this season, and basically a big circus tent put up in the bleachers place. In fact when you drive up to the track, it's rural setting makes one think they are going to a county fair. They have about five betting windows and one indoor bathroom, yes one, there are several port a potties though. Yes I said port a potties at the track, ridiculous!

I tried to explain to my wife on the way down to Pinnacle, what exactly she was in for. The last track she was at was Churchill Downs, to say the two tracks are at opposite ends of the spectrum is a understatement. She told me she didn't care about the aesthetics, she just wanted to enjoy the day at the track.

I also explained that the horses are no where near the quality of horses that one finds at Churchill, Belmont and Gulfstream for example. Actually I think the ponies at Pinnacle are mostly from the Eeyore sire line. Again she simply listened to my rant and said lets just enjoy the day.

We arrived at the track about 25 minutes before the first race, bought a couple of programs and the Form, and found a table in a tent next to the pavilion and paddock. I briefly taught my twelve year old son how to read the Form, the horses walked the paddock and wagers for the first were placed. Me and the boy went to the rail to watch the post parade and the race. I told the boy about the odds and how to read the tote board, and my son looked and me and said one of the funniest things he has said in awhile. "You can make money at this!" he shouted, yea buddy that's why daddy make those extravagant spreadsheets and yells at his computer on the weekends.

We had a fantastic afternoon at Pinnacle, the beers were cold, the racing was exciting, and Pinnacle allows for a very up close environment. Second funny boy comment, asking what the little shed with the scale by the winners circle was. I explained that's were they, meaning jockeys, get weighed after the race. He looks at the shed and says "How do the horses fit in there?" Priceless!

When all is said and done I will go back, will Pinnacle receive large sums of my bankroll, no.
I apologize to Jerry Campbell and the entire staff at Pinnacle for making fun of the place. I also apologize to the horsemen and women at the track, this is their lively hood and passion, who cares if it's not major league.

1 comment:

  1. Pinnacle definitely has its warts, but it is indeed a fine place to spend an afternoon. Nice account of your day.

    And I may have to steal that bit about the Eeyore sire line. That one made me laugh like a fool.

    ReplyDelete