Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Nicky's coming out party.

O.K. so the much anticipated graded stakes debut of Barbaro's little brother is this weekend. Nicanor will face a field of nine others in the grade II Virginia Derby on the turf at Colonial Downs. I have felt for awhile that if this colt was not Barbaro's full sibling we wouldn't even pay attention to him. I have never seen this much attention paid to a three year old with a maiden win and an allowance win under their belt in mid July. And now as I am looking over the web I see that Nicky is the morning line favorite at 7-2. Some one punch me I must be hallucinating. I am no odds maker, but seriously, he may be my fourth pick in this race.

Don't get me wrong I would not mind if Nicky won this race. I feel from a marketing stand point Nicky winning would be great for the sport. A successful late summer early fall campaign from Nicanor would be fantastic. Nicky heading to the Left Coast for the Breeders Cup is a nice thought.

It would not be surprising if late Saturday you see the Nicanor bandwagon unloading.

1 comment:

  1. Nicanor's gonna have to step up big time to run with these...aside from the nice story, if 7-2 is too low, who is your selection?

    BTW,

    I'm from your generation, love the music selections. How about The Church, Stone Roses?

    ReplyDelete