Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Saratoga Style

Today was opening day at the Spa, the 141 st. I wrote last week about the opening at Del Mar and my feeling that Del Mar oozes '40's class and style. Saratoga on the other hand makes me think of the early 1900's. Maybe it's the small town upstate setting, or just the layout of the place in general. Unfortunately like Del Mar I have not had the opportunity to attend the races at Saratoga, this is also on the bucket list.

I like the fact that the Spa has a dress code for the box sets, that you can reserve seats by simply placing the Form or a program on the seats you want, and a cooler on a picnic table. Saratoga is a step back in time, where proper attire and respect for others is still the norm.

For the horse racing fan the next six weeks at Saratoga is what we live the other forty six weeks for, well o.k. maybe forty five, Derby week is special. From the handicappers prospective Saratoga can be very beneficial to the bankroll or it can be an agonizing grind. For the overall fan of the sport, the bloodstock that passes through the starting gates and the jockey and trainer colonies are beyond compare. I am really looking forward to the crop of juveniles ready to start the journey of there three year old campaign.

Let's hope the weather is kind and a little dryer than the Belmont meet, I really like the turf races and don't like them moved to the main track. I imagine Rachel will be at the Travers to face the boys again possibly a rematch with Mine That Bird. It should be an enjoyable meet.

No comments:

Post a Comment